History of the U Červeňáku Locality
The area along the Chrudimka river near the Vinice hill has an intrinsic connection to the history of Pardubice. A town called Pordoby has been located on the cliff above the river since the second half of the 13th century. There, an archeological survey discovered the foundations of a village and notably a cloister of the Cyriac order together with a church devoted to St. Bartholomew, which are described in a document issued by Pope Boniface VIII at the end of 1295. This document is also the oldest preserved mention of Pardubice.
Under the floor of the church of St. Bartholomew in Pordoba, we find the final resting place of the father of arch-bishop Ernest of Pardubice together with his wife Adlička. The cloister along with the church and town were protected by a moat. All of that was destroyed during a Hussite attack in 1421. Neither the cloister nor the church were rebuilt after that.
Perhaps the most successful years for the locals were those in the second half of the 19th century; an inn was built here in 1843 and the Vinice locality became a popular destination for visitors from Pardubice. In fact, already on the turning point of the 19th and 20th centuries there was a boat (called the Monitor) which carried these visitors here from the city of Pardubice, upstream.
The creation of the “Červeňák”
In 1919, Pardubice became the home of a newly created rail regiment. To this end, already in the early years of the 20th century preparations began on constructing a technical training area on the Chrudimka river below Pardubičky, south of the city. In 1922, a new Roth – Wagner high steel bridge was built near the cemetery, at that point only on assembled supports. In 1923, a field railroad was built with a track gauge of 600 mm from Karanténa to Chrudimka, with the aim of allowing the transport of parts used in the construction of bridges over Chrudimka.
From 1924 to 1925, adjustments were made to the technical training area on Chrudimka which included the addition of high railroad embankments. The training area included a number of training and construction tracks. One of these, called “Špitálka”, went uphill all the way to the cemetery (near St. Jilje) and to the area today occupied by the hospital.
The construction of the new Prokop bridge began in 1934. Soldiers first moved the old bridge from 1910 20 meters to the side and later, in 1937, moved it to the technical training area as a gift from the city. It remains there to this day. Due to it originally being painted it red, it was called “Červeňák“. As the main vista in the area, this name gradually became used for the whole area located on the right bank of Chrudimka.
The military training area also included a swimming track on Chrudimka, near the weir under Vinice. The soldiers used to organize balls and concerts in the local pavilions, but the most popular place was the swimming facility. That included a walled building, a wooden swimming pool for children, springboards and a slide. The facility was used for military training in the morning (including races), while in the afternoon and evening it was usually used by the families of officers and their invited guests.
The end of the military involvement
After the German occupation army took over the area in March 1939, the premises became deserted. The rail army did retake the premises in 1945, but there was little operation on most of the field track. Afterwards, the training of the army railroad corps moved to Česká Třebová and the Pardubice rail track facilities became obsolete.
In the fifties the premises were still used to train bridge construction and during that the remainder of the low-gauge tracks in the training area were used to transfer the material. Later on, the training facilities were used by sappers. The activities of the rail army corps in Pardubice continued until 1994, notably until 31 October of that year which marked the dissolution of the corps by government decree. The last active premises of the corps, the warehouses located behind the street of S. K. Neumann, were then used by a range of companies. In the spring of 2005, the extensive network of local tracks was also disconnected and decommissioned.
The U Červeňáku locality can now assume a residential function which goes hand in hand with the continued use of the greenery in the surrounding areas.